Rear-end collisions are one of the most common types of crashes in Athens, Alabama. Rear-end accidents can cause serious injuries and lasting pain. Treatment and recovery from rear-end collision injuries can be a costly and time-consuming process.
According to the Alabama Department of Transportation, a recent year saw over 21,000 rear-end collisions across the state. If you’ve been injured in this type of accident, the Athens rear-end collision lawyers at the law firm of Morris, King & Hodge, P.C., want to help you seek maximum compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain, suffering, and more.
Contact us today for a free consultation with a car accident attorney and find out your legal options after a rear-end collision in Athens, Alabama.
How Do Rear-End Car Accidents Happen?
Any number of things can lead to a rear-end crash, but in most cases, it boils down to a driver simply not paying enough attention to what’s going on in traffic ahead of them and not leaving enough time and space to react. It can happen in the blink of an eye. A driver looks away for just a moment, and the next thing they know, they’re about to slam into the car in front of them.
The bottom line is that rear-end collisions are largely preventable. Unfortunately, whether due to distraction or carelessness, such an accident can leave victims with medical and financial challenges to overcome.
Causes and Types of Rear-End Accidents in Athens, AL
Many factors may result in a rear-end accident. The most common involves the at-fault driver behaving negligently behind the wheel.
Some examples of typical causes of rear-end collisions include:
- Distracted driving
- Tailgating or following too closely
- Driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Aggressive driving
- Driving while drowsy or fatigued
- Unsafe lane changes such as cutting off another motorist or failing to signal
- Sudden stops
- Mechanical issues such as faulty brakes or malfunctioning lights
- Watching scenery rather than the road
- Failure to abide by construction zone rules
- Unfavorable weather conditions
Each of these situations can easily lead a driver to rear-end the vehicle in front of them. If a driver doesn’t keep their eyes on the road, it can compromise their reaction time and cause a collision.
What Are the Most Common Injuries from Rear-End Car Accidents in Athens, AL?
Head, neck, and back injuries are common when a motorist is rear-ended. The quick back-and-forth movement of the head can lead to many severe injuries, including:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Other head and neck injuries
- Facial injuries
- Dental injuries
- Back and spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue injuries
- Internal injuries and bleeding
These injuries can result in serious long-term complications and considerable medical costs. Our Athens car accident attorneys want to help you seek compensation through a personal injury claim to cover these and other costs associated with the accident.
What Should You Do After a Rear-End Car Accident in Athens, AL?
Your actions in the aftermath of a rear-end collision can impact how your case plays out. It’s essential to do some specific things that will help you when seeking compensation for your injuries.
You probably called 911 at the accident scene, and you may even have received medical care on the scene. If you didn’t receive emergency medical care, get a full exam as soon as possible. Some potentially severe injuries do not show immediate symptoms but could become life-threatening if left undiagnosed and untreated.
Additionally, you should:
- Follow doctor’s orders. Get the care you need, and follow the doctor’s treatment plan to the letter, keeping all appointments for checkups and rehabilitation therapy.
- Document everything. Keep all your medical records, income statements, insurance paperwork, bills, receipts, and other documents related to the accident in one place. You should also keep notes about your symptoms, emotions, and progress.
- Contact our rear-end accident lawyers. Reach out to an Athens attorney with experience representing clients in rear-end cases. Our lawyers can help you understand the legal process and walk you through the steps involved in pursuing your claim. When you rely on Morris, King & Hodge, P.C., for your rear-end collision case, your documentation and records will be valuable evidence we can use in building your claim, negotiating with the other driver’s insurance company, and, if necessary, arguing in court.
Who Is at Fault for a Rear-End Collision?
Who’s at fault in a rear-end accident isn’t always obvious. Hiring our attorneys for a rear-end collision case works to your advantage because we can conduct an independent investigation to identify all potentially liable parties who may owe you compensation.
It’s also important to remember that Alabama has a pure contributory negligence rule, which means that if you are found to be at all to blame for the accident, you won’t be eligible for compensation. That is another reason why working with our experienced attorneys is so critical. We know how to fight when insurance companies claim that our clients played a role in accidents that injured them.
How Much Compensation Do You Get for a Rear-End Collision in Athens, AL?
Determining compensation for a rear-end crash involves taking a variety of factors into account. Chief among these is the extent and severity of your injuries and your prospects for long-term recovery. Your current and anticipated future medical expenses will factor heavily into this calculation. Other factors include lost wages, loss of earning capacity, pain and suffering, and property damage. The amount of insurance coverage available also affects any potential recovery.
Our attorneys are ready to analyze all these factors and use our experience with rear-end accident cases to determine the full extent of your losses. We aim to seek the maximum amount that fairly compensates you for your injuries and losses.
Statute of Limitations on Rear-End Crash Cases in Athens, AL
In Alabama, you have two years from the rear-end accident date to file a personal injury lawsuit. It’s crucial to initiate the legal process as soon as possible after the accident because your attorney will need this time to research and build your case.
How Our Athens Rear-End Collision Lawyers Can Help
If you’ve been injured in a rear-end car accident in Athens, you need legal representation to help you seek the total compensation you deserve. The legal team at Morris, King & Hodge, P.C., has extensive experience with personal injury cases. Our Athens rear-end collision attorneys are prepared to fight for your rights and aggressively pursue compensation for your injuries.
Contact us today to speak with a personal injury attorney in Athens. We look forward to discussing your case in a free consultation.