Buses have specific characteristics that could make them more dangerous than other vehicles in the event of a crash. Factors include their large size, unwieldy shape, and high occupancy.
If you’ve been hurt in a bus accident in Huntsville, Alabama, you could be owed compensation for the harm you’ve suffered. Working with an experienced personal injury lawyer could help you recover the money you need for your financial, physical, and emotional injuries.
You have rights, and the dedicated team of Huntsville bus accident lawyers with Morris, King & Hodge, P.C., want to fight for them and pursue maximum compensation for you. Contact us today for a free consultation. We will listen to your concerns, assess your situation, and help you understand your legal options, all at no cost to you.
Why You Need Our Huntsville Bus Accident Attorneys
If you’ve suffered a serious injury in a bus crash, you’re likely in pain, dealing with expensive medical costs, and maybe even too hurt to work, which means lost income. You need our experienced Huntsville bus accident attorneys to step in and handle the legal work of pursuing compensation from those to blame for the accident. That way, you have the time and energy to focus on your rest and recovery.
Here are a few benefits of working with the skilled lawyers at Morris, King & Hodge, P.C.:
- Experience – Since our founding in 1966, we have focused on helping injured people recover justice and compensation resulting from someone’s negligence or wrongdoing.
- Results – While we cannot promise a specific outcome in your case, our lawyers won over $125 million in settlements and verdicts for our clients. We want to put this track record of excellence at your disposal.
- Dedication – We understand the physical, emotional, and financial toll an accident can have on victims. To that end, you will receive personalized attention from the attorney and paralegal assigned to your case.
- Recognition – Our firm consistently earns high marks from clients and professional organizations. We are proud to be an award-winning law firm but prouder still to help our community.
Common Causes of Bus Accidents in Huntsville
Thousands of people in Huntsville board a bus each day, each with its unique purpose. Examples of buses involved in traffic accidents include:
- Orbit, the city of Huntsville’s bus system for commuters, shoppers, and visitors
- Greyhound and Valley transit buses for interstate and intrastate travel
- University of Alabama at Huntsville (UAH) campus buses for students, staff, and faculty
- Huntsville City Schools buses and Madison County School District buses for school children in grades K-12
- Church buses for worshippers
- Private coaches and party buses for tours and private events, such as bachelor or bachelorette parties
Most buses are significantly larger and heavier than most other vehicles on the road. They also have a higher center of gravity, which can result in loss of control and increase the risk of rollover crashes. Other factors that can lead to Alabama bus accidents and serious injuries include:
- Lack of safety restraints – Many buses, especially city and school buses, lack passenger seat belts. In a sudden stop or crash, passengers can be thrown from their seats, leading to injuries.
- Passenger movement – Bus passengers often move around, stand, or attempt to enter or exit while the bus is in motion. That increases the risk of injuries.
- Blind spots – Buses have more prominent blind spots than smaller vehicles. These blind spots can make it difficult for bus drivers to see other cars, pedestrians, or obstacles, with potentially deadly results.
- Stopping distance – Buses have a longer stopping distance than smaller vehicles due to their size and weight. This can be hazardous in sudden braking situations.
- Lack of trained drivers – Not just anyone can operate a bus. When there are not enough drivers to cover routes, extra hours contribute to driver fatigue. Employers might also be tempted to put less experienced drivers behind the wheel.
- Insufficient training – While bus drivers should undergo specialized training, the quality and extent of this training can vary. Inadequately trained drivers can pose a risk on the road.
- Frequent stops – Campus, school, and city buses stop frequently to pick up and drop off passengers. This constant stopping can lead to collisions if drivers aren’t attentive.
- Overcrowding – In some places, especially during peak hours, buses get overcrowded, which not only increases the risk of injuries during an accident but can also affect the bus’s stability.
- Aging infrastructure – In parts of Huntsville, buses operate on old infrastructure, including outdated roads and bridges needing repair.
- Poor maintenance – Inadequate maintenance can lead to mechanical failure and subsequent loss-of-control accidents.
Types of Injuries Resulting from Bus Accidents
Considering that an average city bus weighs around 20 tons, it’s no wonder that bus accident injuries can be extensive or fatal. Examples of common types of severe injuries include:
- Whiplash and other soft tissue injuries
- Lacerations and bruises
Types of Compensation Available to Bus Accident Victims
You could be owed compensation if the bus driver, bus company, or another liable party caused your injuries. This could include money to cover your:
- Medical bills, including current and future medical treatments
- Lost wages and potential loss of future income due to injuries
- Pain and suffering
- Reduced quality of life
- Property damage
In fatal crashes, surviving family members may be entitled to bring wrongful death cases against the bus driver, bus company, bus manufacturer, or other parties responsible for the crash.
Legal Process for Filing a Huntsville Bus Accident Claim
Our bus accident lawyers understand the legal process for filing a claim. You can do your part by keeping up with doctor’s appointments and staying off social media with posts about your case.
While you do that, your bus accident attorney will:
- Compile and examine evidence, such as witness statements, accident reports, evidence from the accident scene, and the victim’s medical records
- Identify liable parties
- File an insurance claim and a lawsuit against the responsible parties
- Negotiate a settlement
- Proceed to trial, if the other side won’t offer a reasonable settlement
Get Help from Our Huntsville Bus Crash Attorneys Now
Life can dramatically change after a bus accident. But you do not have to navigate this challenging time alone. Let our experienced Huntsville bus accident lawyers guide you toward justice and fair compensation.
At Morris, King & Hodge, P.C., we have the knowledge, experience, and passion to pursue the full amount you’re entitled to for the injuries you have suffered. Contact our award-winning law firm today for a free consultation.