The pharmaceutical liability lawyers of Morris, King & Hodge, P.C., is dedicated to holding the makers of risky testosterone products responsible for any harm they cause. If you took a testosterone product that was supposed to enhance your life and your overall well-being but instead caused serious, adverse side effects, you may have the right to seek compensation for your losses. To learn more about your rights, contact our Huntsville, Alabama attorneys today for a free case review.
Testosterone Products & Heart Attacks
Testosterone drugs have proven to be popular among men of all ages, who have been particularly encouraged by drug companies’ claims that testosterone products can greatly improve a man’s life. Despite high sales and promising claims, the side effects may cause more harm than good.
- Low-T: Low-T or Low Testosterone is a natural occurrence and typically occurs in older men, during the aging process. Approximately 5 million men have low testosterone and visit their doctor with symptoms including decreased libido, decrease in body or facial hair growth, weight gain, and less energy.
- Trending Drug: While many older men take testosterone products to counter the natural aging process, younger men are drawn to testosterone products for physical enhancement. Prescription sales of testosterone have increased from $18 million when it was first introduced in 1988 to $1.6 billion in 2011, tripling the percentage of men who take testosterone products.
- Testosterone Treatment: Low-T drugs and treatments are available in numerous forms including injections, implants, gels, and patches. Some popular brands on the market include AndroGel, Androderm, Axrion, Bio-T-Gel, Delatestryl, Depo-Testosterone, Fortesta, Striant, Testim, and Testopel.
- Drug Risks: The side effects of such testosterone treatments include sleep apnea, stimulating the growth of existing prostate cancer, blood clots, and limiting sperm production. More recently, the controversial hormone treatment has been known to increase the risk of heart attack, stroke, and cardiac problems. Additionally, some treatments such as testosterone gel can be dangerous for those who come in contact with the gel user.
- FDA Warnings: Since January of 2014, testosterone products have been under scrutiny by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA), after men, of various age groups and health conditions, suffered heart attacks, stroke, and other serious adverse side effects due to the testosterone treatments.
- Required Warning Labels: Due to the increase of serious, life-threatening side effects, in June 2014, the FDA required that testosterone products must carry a warning about the general risk of blood clots in the veins. While there are conflicting reports as to whether or not Low-T products increase the risk of heart attack or stroke, the FDA is engaged in an ongoing investigation into such risks, including death, in men who take testosterone products.
Low-T Product Lawsuits
While testosterone products and therapies remain under close examination by the FDA, men who have been prescribed a drug for Low-T have filed claims against drug companies. claims have been filed by men who suffered strokes, heart attacks, and other serious cardiac problems. In June 2014, multidistrict litigation (MDL) for cases of injury allegedly caused by testosterone products was created by the U.S. Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation; 44 federal lawsuits were moved to the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (the state where AndroGel is manufactured).
Contact A Pharmaceutical Liability Lawyer for Help!
While there are thousands of prescription drugs created by drug companies to improve health and one’s overall well-being, thousands more are created and prescribed to patients who suffer from life-threatening side effects. The AV-rated firm of Morris, King & Hodge, P.C., is dedicated to helping the victims of testosterone products who suffered a heart attack, stroke or other serious side effects while on testosterone therapy. Our attorneys believe that drug manufacturers had a duty to warn about risks but failed to do so on their products’ labels and advertising materials. Our track record of success includes over $30 Million dollars in settlements. To speak with a firm partner about your case free of charge, call us at (256) 274-8130 or (888) 445-5585 or send us an online message.