After a car accident, it is natural for people to have questions about their rights and legal options, especially if the accident resulted in significant injuries. While accident victims might be aware that they should discuss their situation with an attorney, many are concerned about what legal representation might cost.
What many people don’t know is that personal injury lawyers usually take cases on a contingency fee basis. A contingency fee arrangement is one where the attorney agrees to represent the client with an understanding that he or she will not collect a fee unless and until one of the two situations occur:
- The client agrees to a settlement in their car insurance claim; or,
- A court rules in the client’s favor in a lawsuit and the client collects on the judgment.
In other words, your car accident lawyer doesn’t get paid until you get paid.
Table of Contents
Why Should I Hire a Car Accident Lawyer?
Seeking compensation after an accident can be challenging. The process you have to go through is time-consuming and requires adhering to strict deadlines. If you hire an experienced car accident lawyer, they will handle the case for you, so you can focus on recovering from your injuries.
Your car accident lawyer can help you with the following:
- Conduct an investigation. He or she will open a thorough and independent investigation into how the crash really happened and who is responsible. Your lawyer will seek out all potential sources of recovery and insurance coverage.
- Collect evidence. Your car accident lawyer will ensure all evidence gets submitted to the insurance company promptly. Sufficient evidence is necessary to show the events that led to your car wreck and how the at-fault party caused it.
- File forms correctly. Sometimes, the adjuster assigned to your claim will request that you complete and return forms. A lot of people believe it’s a requirement to complete or sign all forms they receive. That’s not always the case. There are some situations where you’re not obligated to sign anything from the insurance company. Your car accident lawyer can prevent you from signing anything you shouldn’t.
- Negotiate on your behalf. Some insurers take advantage of unrepresented claimants. If you didn’t hire an attorney, the adjuster might take advantage of that by offering you a settlement much lower than you deserve. Your attorney will make sure that doesn’t happen and aggressively negotiate for the maximum compensation.
- Litigate on your behalf. If your case has to go to trial, your car accident lawyer will file your lawsuit by the deadline, collect evidence, schedule mediations and depositions, and communicate with the opposing attorneys on your behalf. Your lawyer will be ready to fight for you in the courtroom, if necessary.
How Much Is My Car Accident Claim Worth?
The value of your auto claim depends on factors such as:
- Severity of your injuries
- Duration of treatment
- Availability of sufficient evidence
- At-fault driver’s auto policy liability limit
- Your total costs resulting from the crash
- Permanent disability or disfigurement caused by your injury
Alabama law requires all vehicle owners and operators to carry liability insurance with a minimum bodily injury limit. The limit the other driver chose on their policy is the maximum compensation you’re allowed to receive under that policy.
How Morris, Kling, & Hodge Can Help After a Huntsville Car Accident
If you want to speak with a car accident lawyer from Morris, King & Hodge, contact us now. We offer a free consultation, so there’s no risk to speak with us about your situation. We dedicate our experience and resources to representing car crash victims throughout Alabama.