The more vehicles and drivers involved in a crash, the more complex the ordeal becomes. Several people can all be at fault for a multi-vehicle accident, and each must be carefully assessed to determine how much if any, a responsibility they bear.
In this article, the Huntsville multiple-vehicle car accident attorneys of Morris, King & Hodge, P.C. will explain what to do after you’ve been involved in a traffic collision involving multiple other vehicles.
Table of Contents
How Do Multiple-Vehicle Pileups Happen in Huntsville?
Multiple-vehicle pileups occur when more than two vehicles collide with each other. Multiple-vehicle accidents in Huntsville happen when a driver’s negligent actions cause a chain reaction of events.
Some of the more common causes of pileups include:
- Distracted driving
- Driving while intoxicated
- Poor visibility or weather conditions
What to Do If You Are Hurt in a Multi-Vehicle Crash
If you are involved in a multi-vehicle collision, the most important thing you can do is remain calm and levelheaded. Keep these helpful tips in mind:
- Contact the authorities immediately. Multi-vehicle accidents can result in serious injuries. Emergency personal can help victims and secure the scene.
- Turn on your hazard lights. Turn on your hazard lights to let other drivers know to use caution. Using your hazards can warn other drivers and prevent a pileup accident from becoming worse.
- Stay in your vehicle. In most situations, you should remain in your car. Walking around the scene can be dangerous, as another driver coming upon the scene could hit you.
- Seek medical attention. Always seek professional medical help after an accident. Even if you feel fine, you may simply be suffering from delayed effects due to an adrenaline rush. Medical documentation is important to car accident claims.
- Collect information when the scene is secure. Once the scene is secure, try to gather as much information as possible. Take notes and photograph the location and the damage to vehicles.
- Call your insurance company. Let your insurance company know what happened. Keep your statements simple and factual. Do not provide a written or recorded statement.
- Do not post on social media. Be careful what you say about the accident, and do not post on social media. Your words could end up being used against you by insurance companies eager to deny your claims.
- Contact an attorney as soon as possible. An attorney can help you file a claim, investigate the accident, and gather vital evidence.
How Does a Multi-Vehicle Pileup Affect Your Personal Injury Case?
Multiple-vehicle accidents can be complicated. One driver may be at fault, or several drivers may be at fault. You may be able to pursue compensation from multiple drivers. However, that also means dealing with multiple insurance companies. An attorney can help you pursue every avenue of recovery.
Alabama is one of the few states that follows the “contributory negligence” rule. The rule stipulates that anyone whose negligence plays a role in causing an accident will be barred from receiving any compensation at all. You need to work with a lawyer who can establish that you were not at all at fault for the crash.
Our Huntsville Car Accident Attorneys Can Help After a Multi-Vehicle Accident
Since 1966, our lawyers have been standing up for injured victims and taking cases to court in North Alabama and all across the state. If you’re hurt in an accident, you want to be sure that you have the most qualified injury & accident lawyers representing you with a proven track record representing injured victims in the courts.