Rideshare services have become a popular form of transportation in Huntsville, Alabama, and all around the country. Unfortunately, more rideshare vehicles lead to more rideshare car accidents, according to major academic studies; becoming a common type of case we handle.
If you were involved in a rideshare accident, you could be entitled to compensation for the harm you suffered. Contact the Huntsville rideshare car accident lawyers at Morris, King & Hodge, P.C., today to discuss your legal options during a free case review.
Why You Need a Lawyer After an Uber or Lyft Crash in Huntsville
If you’ve been in an accident involving a rideshare service, such as Uber or Lyft, you may feel overwhelmed and unsure of what to do next. Filing a claim and pursuing compensation can be complicated and confusing, but you don’t have to do it alone. Our experienced lawyers understand the complexities of rideshare insurance coverage and have the skills to negotiate aggressively with insurance companies to seek the best possible outcome for you.
What Are the Most Common Causes and Types of Rideshare Accidents?
Some of the most common causes of rideshare accidents include:
- Driver negligence – Drivers who are negligent, reckless, or careless often cause rideshare accidents. These motorists engage in a wide range of unsafe behaviors, such as driving while distracted, driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, tailgating, speeding, and failing to yield the right-of-way.
- Poor car maintenance – Poorly maintained vehicles can contribute to rideshare accidents. Issues such as faulty brakes, worn tires, broken lights, and other mechanical problems can lead to crashes.
- Third-party error – Third parties can also contribute to rideshare accidents. These parties can include other drivers on the road who fail to obey traffic laws, pedestrians or bicyclists who suddenly cross into the path of oncoming traffic, and government agencies that fail to maintain safe roadways.
Some of the most common types of rideshare accidents include the following:
Insurance Coverage for Rideshare Accidents
If you are involved in an accident caused by a rideshare driver, which insurance coverage applies will depend on the phase the driver was in.
- En route or transporting – A rideshare driver who is transporting a customer or on their way to a pickup should be covered by the rideshare company’s insurance policy, which offers up to $1 million in liability coverage.
- App on, waiting for a request – A rideshare driver who has the app open and is waiting for a ride request when they cause an accident should be covered by either their own insurance or the rideshare company’s, if their own insurance is insufficient. The rideshare’s insurance should cover $50,000 per person injured in the crash, $100,000 for all people injured in the crash, and $25,000 for any damaged property.
- App is off – Only personal auto insurance would apply if the app is off when a driver in a rideshare-marked vehicle causes an accident. In that case, you must file a claim with the rideshare driver’s auto insurance policy to seek compensation for your losses.
Insurance coverage for rideshare accidents can be complex, so it is vital to have an attorney who can navigate the system on your behalf and seek fair compensation for your injuries and other losses.
Uber and Lyft Accident Statistics
Ridesharing services like Uber and Lyft have become increasingly popular, with millions of people using these services nationwide. Along with their rise in popularity, there has been an increase in automobile accidents involving rideshare vehicles.
According to a recent Uber safety report, there were 42 fatal accidents involving Uber vehicles in one recent year, while news reports indicate that 105 people died in fatal vehicle crashes involving Lyft cars over a recent two-year period. Many more Uber and Lyft crashes caused severe injuries.
Compensation for an Uber or Lyft Wreck in Huntsville
If you were involved in a rideshare accident that was not your fault, you might be eligible to seek compensation for your financial and personal losses, including the following:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Impaired future earning capacity
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma
- Reduced quality of life
What If I Lost a Loved One in an Uber or Lyft Crash in Huntsville?
If your loved one died in an Uber or Lyft crash, a wrongful death claim could help you hold the responsible party accountable for your loss. Under Alabama law, only a personal representative or executor of the decedent’s estate can file a wrongful death lawsuit. If the decedent didn’t appoint an executor in their will, the court can appoint one. Our experienced Huntsville Uber accident attorneys can evaluate your case and determine whether you have a wrongful death claim.
What Are My Next Steps If I Was Injured in a Rideshare Crash
Being involved in a rideshare accident can be stressful and overwhelming, but you can take steps to ensure your rights and interests are protected.
Here is what to do after a rideshare crash:
- Call 911. Call 911 to summon emergency medical services and the police. The authorities can investigate the accident and file a report indicating who they believe might be responsible for the crash.
- Notify the rideshare service. If you are a rideshare passenger or driver at the time of the collision, you can use the Uber or Lyft app to inform the rideshare service that a crash has occurred.
- Collect evidence. Collect evidence from the accident scene, including photos of any vehicle damage, skid marks on the road, and traffic signs and signals. Get the contact information of other motorists and eyewitnesses.
- Seek medical attention. Even if your injuries seem minor at first, you should still get checked out by a medical professional. It is essential to have any injuries properly diagnosed and treated as soon as possible to avoid long-term complications.
- Contact a rideshare accident lawyer. If you have suffered injuries due to a rideshare accident, contact an experienced lawyer who focuses on these types of cases. Our attorneys can help you file a claim and pursue the compensation you deserve.
Contact Our Huntsville Rideshare Accident Attorneys Today
At Morris, King & Hodge, P.C., we are deeply familiar with the laws that govern rideshare accidents in Alabama and can navigate the complex legal system for your benefit. Our experienced team of lawyers are ready to evaluate your case and aggressively negotiate with insurance companies in pursuit of the compensation you deserve.
Contact our Huntsville rideshare accident attorneys today for a free consultation.