When a motorcycle accident happens in Huntsville, it is rare for the rider to leave the scene entirely unscathed. While some injuries like broken bones and road rash are immediately apparent, other injuries could be internal and might not show symptoms for hours, days, or weeks after the crash.
At Morris, King & Hodge, P.C., our Huntsville motorcycle accident attorneys know that some of the most damaging motorcycle injuries are internal. If a negligent driver caused your motorcycle accident, turn to us for help. While you can’t control what other people do on the road, you can hold them accountable if their actions harm you.
Contact our Huntsville office for a free consultation to discuss your rights and legal options.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Are Internal Injuries?
- 2 Common Types of Internal Injuries from a Motorcycle Accident in Huntsville
- 3 Symptoms of Internal Injuries
- 4 Treatments, Complications, and Lasting Effects of Internal Injuries
- 5 Recovering Damages for Motorcycle Accident Internal Injuries in Huntsville
- 6 Contact Our Huntsville Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Today
What Are Internal Injuries?
Even if you are wearing protective gear, you could still suffer internal injuries in the event of a motorcycle crash. These injuries will often fall into one of three categories, which include:
- Blunt-force trauma – Blunt-force trauma occurs when a part of the body hits or is struck by a firm, dull surface or object. Blunt abdominal trauma (BAT) frequently causes damage to the internal organs. It is a leading cause of severe injury or preventable death for many accident victims because it often goes unnoticed and untreated initially.
- Penetrating trauma – Penetrating trauma happens when a foreign object pierces the skin and creates an open wound. These injuries are often severe and require immediate treatment.
- Deceleration trauma – Internal organs can shift inside the body when there is a rapid speed-up-slow-down motion. Motorcycle riders often suffer these injuries if they hit an object while moving or are thrown from the bike onto the pavement. Deceleration injuries could include traumatic brain injuries, tearing of the aorta, and other forms of trauma.
Common Types of Internal Injuries from a Motorcycle Accident in Huntsville
Some of the most common internal injuries motorcycle accidents cause include:
- Hemorrhaging or excessive internal bleeding
- Bleeding in the brain
- Pneumothorax, also known as a punctured lung
- Hemopericardium, or bleeding around the heart
- Abdominal aorta aneurysm
- Ruptured spleen
- Ruptured diaphragm
- Organ damage
Physicians may use diagnostic tests such as a CT scan or angiography to identify these internal injuries.
Symptoms of Internal Injuries
Internal bleeding and other internal injuries may not be readily apparent. When you have a cut or road rash, you immediately feel pain and see blood seeping from the wound. However, you can’t always see the impact of internal injuries, especially blunt-force trauma wounds.
If left untreated, internal injuries can quickly result in shock, blood loss, and eventually death.
Signs that you may have an injury impacting your internal organs can include:
- Abdominal swelling
- A large area of deep purple skin
- Loss of consciousness
- Rapid heart rate
- Blood in urine or stool
Even a seemingly minor motorcycle crash could result in internal injuries. After being involved in a motorcycle collision in Huntsville, you need to seek medical attention immediately. A thorough medical exam could reveal an internal injury and allow for timely treatment that could prove to be life-saving.
Treatments, Complications, and Lasting Effects of Internal Injuries
Your treatment options will depend upon the nature of your internal injury. Immediately following an accident where internal injuries are suspected, a physician may opt for intravenous fluid and blood transfusions. These options can help prevent or correct unsafe blood pressure drops, which internal trauma often causes. Once a doctor identifies the internal injury, you may need surgery to stop the source of bleeding or repair damaged internal organs.
Internal injuries can also cause a wide range of significant complications, including:
- Organ failure
- Blood loss
Even after treatment, internal injuries can have a lasting impact on a motorcycle accident victim. Some wounds can lead to function loss or even the loss of the organ itself. If internal bleeding in the brain is not controlled quickly, it can cause strokes and seizures. These conditions may cause long-term brain damage and a loss of cognition or physical mobility, which may be permanent.
Recovering Damages for Motorcycle Accident Internal Injuries in Huntsville
When a negligent driver is responsible for causing internal injuries from a motorcycle accident, the rider may be entitled to seek compensation for their injuries through an insurance claim or a personal injury lawsuit. This compensation can cover losses such as:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Emotional distress
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
An experienced motorcycle accident attorney can review your situation and give you a better idea of the value of your claim. An attorney can also discuss your options for pursuing the maximum compensation available.
Contact Our Huntsville Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Today
The Huntsville motorcycle accident attorneys at the law firm of Morris, King & Hodge, P.C. have been helping people who’ve suffered internal organ injuries seek justice and fair compensation since 1966. If someone else’s carelessness caused you harm, let us stand up and fight for you.
Contact our Huntsville office now for a free and confidential consultation.